School Name: Manning School / Black Oak Grove School District Number: #005
Township: Twn42N Range: Rng15W Section: Sec08
Latitude: 38.413400 °N Longitude: -92.599900 °W
Manning School - 1913
Date Started: Date Closed:
Teachers: Judge Jenkins lists the following teachers from 1874 to 1901:
Resident Taxpayers in 1871:
Source under: M - Biographies of Miller County Persons "Marion J. Manning":
Phillip M. Manning was a doctor at Olean in the 1880's; Francis S. Manning was a doctor at Versailles and youngest brother, Albert Manning, was a druggist at Spring Garden during the same years. George W. Manning was an early-day schoolteacher in the northern section of Miller County. In the 1880's there was a school located near the Manning farm and was called by two different names----Black Oak Grove School and Manning School. During the school years 1881-83, George Manning taught this country school.
In 1912 janitors were not hired for the Manning Schoolhouse to do the spring cleaning before the next term of school. It happened while neighbor women did the chore and talked with each other that the idea was conceived to form a social working club.
At the time their husbands had a club of their own called the Farmers’ club. So the wives club would be considered an auxiliary.
On April 26, 1917, seven women met to organize the club and name themselves the Manning Willing Workers.
While the Manning Schoolhouse was available to the club an ice cream supper was held each summer with husbands and families invited. At Christmas time the club has Christmas parties with exchange of secret pal gifts.