Miller County Schools Project
 
| Google Map to School |

School Name:    Walnut Grove School              School District Number:    #44

Location:
Township:  Twn40N    Range:  Rng15W    Section:  Sec05

Latitude:  38.251400 N      Longitude:  -92.604100 W



School Photos:

Walnut Grove School - Circa 1929
Walnut Grove School - Circa 1929
Click on Photo for larger version


Walnut Grove School - 1930
Walnut Grove School - 1930
Click on Photo for larger version


Walnut Grove - T. E. Vaughn, Teacher - 1898
Walnut Grove - T. E. Vaughn, Teacher - 1898


Walnut Grove - Oliver Brockman, Teacher - Early 1900's
Walnut Grove - Oliver Brockman, Teacher - Early 1900's


Walnut Grove - Ruth McCommons Barron, Teacher
Walnut Grove - Ruth McCommons Barron, Teacher


Walnut Grove School - 2017
Walnut Grove School - 2017
Click on Photo for larger version




School Information:

Date Started:                 Date Closed:

School Registers:

Teachers: Judge Jenkins lists the following teachers for the early years of the school:

1874-75 Andrew Bear   1890-91 B. F. Bowlin
1875-76 David McComb   1891-93 J. H. Butner
1876-77 J. C. Glover   1893-94 Viola Cotton
1877-78 J. L. Roark   1894-95 Janie Vaughn
1878-79 William M. Harrison   1895-96 Retta Elliott
1879-80 Mary E. Holloway   1896-97 C. B. Wright
1880-83 Wm. M. Harrison   1897-98 E. F. Brown
1883-84 Nannie Anthony   1898-99 T. E. Vaughn
1884-85 Fred Etter   1899-00 Claudia Roark
1885-86 A. H. Jones   1900-01 Otis Wright
1886-88 Florence Cotton      
1888-89 Fred Etter      
1889-90 Sadie Vann      

This school district relinquished its territory south of the river in 1879. Due to the meandering of the Osage River and with the influx of inhabitants combined with the coming of the railroad, the school districts in Congressional Township 40, Range 15, originally Miller County School District No. 10, suffered many boundary changes Bagnell would break away from this District on June 27, 1898, becoming a Village School District.

Resident Taxpayers in 1871:
Resident Taxpayers in 1871: Delany Bowlin, Amos Brown, Jeckoliah Brown, Jacob Cotton, Nancy Cotton, Thomas Cotton, William McComb, Polly Vann, S. G. Vaughan, and John Vann.

 

By Kathy Pierson and Angie Needham

Walnut Grove School was built in the early 1920's. The first teacher for the school was Berlie Harvey.

The regular school day began at 9 a.m. and ended at 4 p.m. Students had approximately 20 minutes for each class, 10 minutes for recess, and one hour for lunch. The school year started around Aug 29 and ended around April 14. The library consisted of 125 volumes valued at approximately 50 cents a book.

As other schools in this area, it closed down after the construction of Bagnell Dam.

 

Per Joe Pryor Archives - 2011:

Debbie Simmons sent Joe Pryor some photos she took the week that our fall scenery was displaying its most color. Debbie had driven around the area to select a few places where the autumn scenery was most vivid. Debbie went over to an area north of Bagnell where the old Walnut Grove school is located and took some pictures of the school located a short distance north of Highway 54 in the Meads Flat area.

Walnut Grove was one of the many one room schools the county had years ago which at one time numbered up to about 100 schools.

The name of the school relates to the fact that it is surrounded by a grove of walnut trees according to James R. Pruitt.

Photos from Debbie:

Walnut Grove School - 2011
Walnut Grove School - 2011


Walnut Grove School - 2011
Walnut Grove School - 2011


Walnut Grove School - 2011
Walnut Grove School - 2011


Walnut Grove School - 2011
Walnut Grove School - 2011


Walnut Grove School - 2011
Walnut Grove School - 2011



School Resources