Posted by Webmaster on June 29, 2007 at 20:54:05:
In Reply to: Re: Red Oak Inn posted by Webmaster on June 29, 2007 at 20:53:16:
In 1939, this log building (grocery store and gas station) used to stand on the very same location where Red Oak Inn is built today. The building was built prior to the 1930ís. During this time, it is believed this business location was owned by David Helton (Bennett Heltonís Grandfather), who also owned a river bottom farm right above the river bridge. This building also contained living quarters, which was occupied by Mrs. Ella Beard and two of her young children. It is believed Mrs. Beard operated this business for their room and board. Mrs. Beard was also the mother of Jean Lupardus, wife of Harley Lupardus of Ulman. It is believed the old building was torn down between 1948 and 1952. During this time Garland Adcock built a new cobblestone building containing a gas and service station, grocery and liquor store, and living quarters for his family. There have been several businesses at this location prior to Wes Horton, making it the beautiful Red Oak Inn, as we know it today. Picture taken 1939.
Narrative and photo from Jack Lupardus added.
Post a Followup